Weird Gloop elections
Weird Gloop board elections are the process by which members of Weird Gloop Limited are nominated, voted on, and appointed. Elections will be held every year in December, with the appointment taking place at the beginning of the following year.
The Weird Gloop member elections process is modelled on the Wikimedia Foundation board elections.
Board members and responsibilities
The Weird Gloop board exists for three main purposes:
- Acting as a liaison and check between the wiki(s) community and the management of the company, making sure that the decisions made by the company remain in the best interests of the editors and the wikis
- Assisting in the long-term strategic planning for the company
- Assisting in the day-to-day governance of the company, including:
- Approving budget decisions and reviewing budget requests
- Making and paying employment contracts
- Reviewing the performance of company management
- Preparing periodic budget and performance statements for public consumption
- Attend periodic board meetings to discuss all of the above, and more
Additionally, members are granted the bureaucrat user group on Weird Gloop Meta Wiki to grant users the sysop user group as specified by Meta:Requests for adminship.
Currently, nine seats are appointed by election. These are apportioned as follows:
- Three positions reserved for the RuneScape Wiki
- Three positions reserved for the Old School RuneScape Wiki
- Two administrative positions (currently held by the co-founders)
- One position reserved for the Portuguese RuneScape Wiki
Elected members serve terms of one year. Members can re-nominate themselves after their term ends, if they wish - there are no term limits. At the board's discretion, Weird Gloop may increase the number of elected members (in the event the company hosts additional wikis), and the board reserves the right to appoint up to two outside members that are not subject to elections.
Emergency elections will not be held unless more than 2 members step down or are unable to serve at their post, and elections are more than 4 months away. Ultimately the decision for whether an emergency election is required will be made by the remaining members.
Some elected members may serve much longer terms in order to not have to continually re-authorise bank account access and other administrative duties. This will be done with community consensus.
- Gaz Lloyd (administrative seat)
- Cook Me Plox (administrative seat)
- IsobelJ (RuneScape)
- Ryan PM (RuneScape)
- Salix of Prifddinas (RuneScape)
- Spineweilder (Old School RuneScape)
- Riblet15 (Old School RuneScape)
- IN008 (Old School RuneScape)
- Not blocked on any Weird Gloop wiki currently
- Not a bot account
- Have made 100 edits total and 10 edits in the 3 month period preceding the beginning of voting
You may only vote once, regardless of how many accounts you have.
Current and former Weird Gloop members and contractors are also allowed to vote, as are election committee members and verified Jagex staff. Banned users cannot vote.
Candidates can nominate themselves either for a RuneScape Wiki position, or an Old School RuneScape Wiki position, depending on what their primary wiki is -- you can only nominate yourself for one or the other. Candidates should be evaluated based on their connection to the wiki they want to represent.
- Not blocked on any Weird Gloop wiki currently
- Cannot be a member of the election committee, a paid contractor or employee of Weird Gloop, or a Jagex staff member
- Must be 'of sufficiently sound character', i.e.:
- Must not have committed a serious crime or any crime involving dishonesty or deception
- Must not have been removed from a position at a non-profit organisation or other company due to mismanagement or misconduct
- Background checks may be performed to check this.
- Must be at least 18 years old and of legal age in your home country and/or country of residence.
- We will also need a way to reliably contact you, i.e. a personal email address.
Submitting your nomination
You will need to submit the following by 14 December, by sending them to electionsweirdgloop.org
- Which group (RuneScape Wiki or Old School RuneScape Wiki) you are submitting your nomination for
- A short statement about yourself and your reasons for running (500 characters maximum, excluding spaces)
- A brief summary (200 words) about your work on the Weird Gloop wikis (including before the fork)
- A brief summary (200 words) about other work - things that you've done that would be relevant - such as other volunteering, experience, work in other communities or similar
Your submission's receipt will be acknowledged. Please contact us if you do not receive a response.
- The page for the election is posted in early November.
- Candidates will be able to submit until 14 December.
- On 14 December, candidate submissions will be published.
- From 14 December to 21 December, voters will be able to submit questions to the candidates.
- Candidates should answer these questions during this time.
- On 21 December, voting will open.
- On 4 January (2 weeks later), voting will close.
- Votes will then be checked, and the results will be announced on or around 4 January.
Voting is conducted via the SecurePoll extension. This extension will allow you to submit a vote any time from open to close of the election, and you can change your vote at any time by re-completing the ballot.
Voting is done using a ranked-choice method (specifically, the Schulze method). The list of all RuneScape Wiki candidates will be listed, and voters can enter their numerical rankings for those candidates. Similarly, the Old School RuneScape Wiki candidates will be listed separately, and voters can enter their choices for those candidates.
The elected candidates will be the three candidates with the highest aggregate preference (according to the Schulze method) from RuneScape Wiki, and the three candidates with the highest aggregate preference from the Old School RuneScape Wiki.
Anonymised and time-randomised ballots will be made public at the end of the election, as well as a statistical summary of votes.