Forum:Wiki/Discord account linking
- Make some way to link your wiki account to your Discord account (via an edit on the wiki), and encourage people to do it when they join the server
- Give some minor on-server perks for doing it
- This sort of thing is very common on servers that have some sort of external accounts (e.g. RuneLite development <-> GitHub)
- Implementation sketch
Probably the way it would work is, we make a bot that people can DM a !link command. the bot gives them instructions, basically:
- Make sure you have a wiki account
- Go to your userpage (Special:MyPage). We would probably want to link to both RS and OSRS
- The bot will generate a one-time passphrase that uniquely identifies their account (e.g. 599896e58fa8174a85bbd35c33545b83, or maybe something more RuneScapey like "Astral Zanik Penance Flowers", like how gfycat urls work)
- Make an edit on the userpage, and make sure either the summary or the text includes the passphrase.
The bot will pick this change up, and then your account will be linked!
There are other ways we could do the auth (including a MediaWiki extension and bot) but I think I prefer requiring them to make an edit, for reasons that will be clearer below.
The perks might be something like:
- Higher priority on the online users list
- Some role highlight color?
- Access to some editor-only lounge channel (I would unironically like to have this so I could ping everyone for merch or family photo, for example, where it pings the ~500 most-involved people instead of 20k randos). If the channel ends up not being active we can just kill it eventually. This last one is probably the most controversial but it would probably be the biggest carrot, and is probably borderline actually-helpful in some cases.
- But why?
- Lets us put editing the wiki pretty front-and-center as the primary purpose of the Discord, which has really been lacking since we started the server
- Incentivizes people to make one edit/make an account under very controlled conditions, the idea being that they will be more familiar/less hesitant with editing in the future
- Nice little psychological boost/pat on the head for random editors, and a way to pull them in tighter into the community
- Would let us do other cool one-off integrations, for example attaching discord names to RC edits, creating temporary notification roles for specific subsets of the group (e.g. people eligible to vote on board elections), or further gamifying editing in the future
Support - I like this idea. Godswordshard1 Memoriamcrystal4 Jones Earthimplingjar20:30, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - Hopefully this will give people a nudge to make their first edit. Even though a role in the discord doesn't mean much in the scheme of things, I think it would be something that people enjoy. If we can get people to connect their accounts, I think there are a lot of possible benefits for both new and old editors. - Andmcadams (talk) 20:43, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - I want to oppose only because it's you. <3 I do like the idea of having something linked in recent-changes channels to link with Discord usernames. Stellar proposal overall. -Legaia2Pla ᴛ · ʟ · ᴄ 23:05, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - API Discussion has shown the advantages that being able to directly speak to and ping people who use the API (or in this case, edit the wiki). Could also help in places where people use different names on the wiki and on Discord 00:26, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Support level 7 zamik wizard - Badassiel 01:11, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
hell fuckin yea - Forum supports are too f---ing boring! 06:01, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Big support - Sounds like a great idea07:03, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Rotterdam - Nice.07:32, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Oppose -02:14, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
- You're not allowed to do that? ʞooɔ 02:30, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
- Please stop commenting on this so that it shows up in meta-discussion. 00:26, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - Excellent idea06:52, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Support + comments -
- What exactly is the "link", implementation wise? Is it simply Discord ID <--> Wiki account?
- How does the link work between multiple wikis? Can I be linked to multiple wikis or am I only linked to one Gloop account?
- Would we make the list of links public somewhere on the wiki?
- If a user leaves the discord server, or if the user is blocked, is the link removed? Haidro (talk) 00:24, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
- Yes, from what I can tell from talking to Cook, it'd just be establishing a verification of a Discord ID <-> Wiki account. As one account is shared between all wikis, then technically you're linked to "all wikis". Not sure why we'd need to make the links public, but I don't care either way. If a user leaves or is blocked, why would the link be removed? jayden 12:39, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
- Discord ID <-> Wiki account seems strange if we want to identify wikians per Wiki. Links being public would be useful for people to know who to ping. I have no compelling argument why the link should be removed when the user is blocked, but the cleanup makes sense if either end of the link is dead. Haidro (talk) 08:17, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - Gaz Bot makes a compelling argument.00:57, 17 April 2021 (UTC)