Forum:Upcoming board meeting July 2020
It's time for our third board meeting of the year!
The meeting is scheduled for Sunday, July 26th at 1900 UTC.
- Video transcription
- Tech things
- GCP Migration
- GE Extension
- Wikia account migration
- Additional Wiki's overhead
- Previous action items
- Budget surplus allocation
- Community concerns
- Social feed for OSW
- Public budget/performance statements
- Other wiki languages
If you have anything you'd like us to discuss please feel free to comment below or contact one of the board members: Isobel, Elessar2, MitcheII, Gau Cho, Riblet15, BigDiesel2m, Cook Me Plox or Gaz Lloyd. Last meetings notes are available at Forum:Board Meeting - April 11th, 2020
Thank you, Your Board.
One of the duties of the board is to provide a periodic budget and performance statement for public consumption. When will the board next release a statement of its revenue, expenses, and budget plan based on existing projects and initiatives for the fiscal year, and what specific information will it contain? Is there a strategy to release this information on an annual basis, and if not, what will be the frequency and format of this communication?
Please refer here  for an example of another organization releasing similar types of information. Hephaestus 23:18, 12 July 2020 (UTC)
- We don't plan on releasing such detailed statements, however, most of our budget goes to infrastructure costs (servers etc) and labor (our sysadmins). Elessar2 (talk) 06:53, 3 August 2020 (UTC)
- Comment - I would recommend modifying the relevant section in the board responsibilities section on meta to reflect this understanding. Perhaps switching the language from public consumption to internal/board consumption. This is under the assumption that the detailed statements are prepared and reviewed by the board for appropriateness to ensure accountability, even if not released for public consumption. If that's not the case, then perhaps additional clarity is needed. Hephaestus 18:42, 9 August 2020 (UTC)
Comment - Some thoughts from my brain which you may or may not want/have already planned to discuss?? :
- I have been watching the space as instructed on the April board meeting thread, regarding implementing THE FEED onto OSW (any update?)
- RSC wiki project has taken off since the last board meeting
- Any update on the newsletter? Has interest been ~gauged~ ?
- Last I heard WRT video transcription (as mentioned on the last meeting notes), is that there was a meeting with Jagex, the transcription software was tested, and it was concluded to not be viable. Has the possibility of this thus stopped being pursued since?
- No clue how relevant this is to the board but you guys might like to know that the ET is likely planning an in-game wikifest around August. What is being done with ET in general has been a recent discussion point for us.
- I presume you guys will be discussing what to spend excess monies on (if anything), thanks to COVID taking away RuneFest this year
STAR the coolest bean (talk 2 me xoxo) 03:19, 13 July 2020 (UTC)
- The feed coming to OSW is something for the osw admins to decide, if they want it, it's a small amount of work to make it live there too.
- There was some interest for a newsletter, but not a lot, and BigDiesel has been doing other projects. The board meeting notes will continue to have recaps of what's been giong on for each wiki, which acts as a kind of newsletter. We did discuss the possibility of making a news type page on here (the meta wiki) where anyone can add things that have been happening on each wiki, if there's interest and someone wants to make the page.
- That's a correct summation of the events re video transcription. If someone has a viable option for us, we are more than happy to reopen the discussion.
- We did discuss what to spend the excess on, but currently have no major plans to spend it, but rather too save the bulk for future projects. Elessar2 (talk) 06:53, 3 August 2020 (UTC)
Comment - Hey there, Just a few little tidbits on my mind for this meeting, ignore them if they've been talked about before and I'm just a dummy for not noticing :
- The Newsletter has been referred to in star's comment, and would love to know about the general interest if any and further steps to take if it is to be proceeded with.
- Redefining Adminship for 2020, I read up on it from the previous forum and read the closed comment relating to what is to be done, no idea if something has been or should be done here. Has their been any progress into "Redefining" these points found in the closed comment? and if so do you think these redefinition will help diversify adminship to not just the usage of tools?
Thanks, sorry if any of this isn't relevant RobbotRS 19:14, 25 July 2020 (UTC)
- Regarding the redefining adminship discussion I did update the pages relating to adminship on the RS and OSRS wikis to reflect better what people were saying they expected of admins. The main pages were the general page on administrators and the request for adminship page and a "guide" on RFA which I deleted. The pages do now reflect the formerly unwritten expectations regarding administrators that extend beyond tool use. I don't think the issues from that discussion are particularly "board issues" in that I don't think it's part of the role of the board to define what the administrator's role is. It is a meta issue, but the expectations of what admins should be have to come from the communities that decide on whether someone is an acceptable candidate or not. That said, I do think the board has a part to play in ensuring that everyone in the community can access the financial resources/support we now have from Jagex, which were initially directed at "the admins" during forking discussions. IsobelJ (talk) 20:31, 2 August 2020 (UTC)
- See my response to Star above about the newsletter. If you'd like to, feel free to make a meta news type page. The last board meeting notes each have a section on whats been going on plus the wikis themselves each have a news page/section as far as I know. Elessar2 (talk) 06:53, 3 August 2020 (UTC)
Closed - The meeting has taken place, and the notes can be found at Forum:Board Meeting - July 26th, 2020, further discussion can take place there. Elessar2 (talk) 09:37, 12 August 2020 (UTC)