Forum:Hip new CHANNELS for all you cool cats and kittens
With the meme channel being by far the most active channel in the whole Discord, I am proposing that we add MULTIPLE! NEW! CHANNELS! to the off-topic section. Channels such as:
- #offtopic [discussion channel] <nsfw-marked> (named editable by admins)
- #memes <nsfw-marked> (named editable by admins)
To minimise channel bloat, these would be hidden until you opt-in to an 'off-topic' role.
Support - As nominator. Currently memes channel is not used for its intended purpose, so it would be nice to get this split up into relevant channels. #voice-txt is also currently used for a lot of nature-based stuff, so a #nature channel would solve this. STAR the coolest bean (talk 2 me xoxo) 22:48, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
- wtf u got against pets STAR the coolest bean (talk 2 me xoxo) 22:58, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
Support if there's individual roles for each channel. These already sort of exist in meeeeow, woooof, and mush-homies. A role for photography and movies would probably be good too. Idgaf about nature or food but I want fluffy pictures, although I guess it'd be a shame if I missed out on Riblet roasting Christine for her tiny bird pictures in the nature channel.
23:15, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
- Oppose - I changed my mind, I think this would just serve to segregate the same community into different channels rather than create more communication between users, would rather we just rename memes to offtopic and allow everything there. 08:34, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - This is a good idea, Ive wanted a nature channel and a way to banish meeeeeow/wooooof for a while. It'd also be neat to bring back music to see if it dies out again. I also think it would be good to have the process of adding/removing off-topic channels codified and regulated somehow. Elaine (talk) 00:28, 14 April 2021 (UTC) Support hiding mushrooms - Badassiel 03:54, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
Oppose - then i have to mute more channels :/ (i jest about the oppose i am incredibly neutral about this y'all do ya thing)07:30, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - Looks good to me.08:16, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - so long as the opt-in role is listed in #welcome with the ET, API & potential OSWF roles sure. Sounds like fun & way to be more flexible with adding/removing channels that regular users have a common interest in. IsobelJ (talk) 09:14, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - per all above00:15, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
Support and question - I see the point about segregating the community, but I think the channels will be more beneficial than harmful. We can always undo it later if we change our minds.
The question I have is: where should the opt-in be - #welcome? Should we set up the offtopic roles we have now to be reaction-role'd too? In which case, we should probably have that as a #get-off-topic-roles channel (we should explain the reacts, which then means a largeish message that I'd not want in #welcome). Gaz (talk) 00:29, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
- Or maybe just a roles sign-up channel, then the api and events ones can also be moved there. On the down side those roles become less visible.
07:20, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
- That could be solved by making it obvious in #welcome that there's a roles sign-up channel. 07:24, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
- I imagined the offtopic channels would be a singular role to react to, so it wouldn't require really that large a message in #welcome. Elaine made a point about removing meeeow/wooof roles once we have a pets channel which might be preferable too. Unless you were also on about all the other roles we have too (e.g. mungus, skribbl, etc..), even then, I still don't think a message then would really be *that* big, not enough to warrant its own channel. We should merge them all into the singular roles thing though, as currently even just the api and events ones are split up into separate messages STAR the coolest bean (talk 2 me xoxo) 23:42, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
Support - need somewhere to dump all the animal pictures coming soon. Totally neutral (unless someone makes a compelling argument) about whether people opt-in individually or in bulk. Christine 23:04, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
Closure - There's consensus to create additional channels. With that, there will be a singular role to opt-in to these restricted channels. The following new channels shall be created from the outcome of this thread:
#nature. --Legaia 2 Pla ᴛ · ʟ · ᴄ 14:59, 27 April 2021 (UTC)
Oppose - where is my meme channel? --Iiii I I I 16:15, 27 April 2021 (UTC)