Forum:Board Meeting - October 16th, 2020
Our last Board Meeting of the year took place on October 16th at 19:00 UTC and ran for about 90 minutes. 8 of 9 members were present, Gau Cho could not attend, and TehKittyCat was present as a guest for part of the meeting. This meeting was kept short as the primary concern was the end of the tax period (end of October).
Old School Retrospective[edit source]
A new batch of OSWF was started and more are planned in the future again. Connections with Jagex are solid and we received a large data dump due to Trailblazer leagues. Ongoing Runelite integration progress, we're getting cool data from crowdsourcing and using it to improve droprates, etc.
Runescape Wiki Retrospective[edit source]
New Archaeology Update next week, and we were given some information about it. Steam Release page populated with a few Wiki guides, and we're hoping for some kind of back scratching information in return, Runemetrics Data Hopefully.
- Update: The guides have been hugely successful and have been translated into a number of languages, in part through our pt-br team! 09:09, 12 November 2020 (UTC)
PT-BR Retrospective[edit source]
PT-BR progress has been very good as of late, new dedicated editors and Jmod interaction. PT-BR has been running there own version of OSWF see RuneScape:Wiki Projetos. Shirts were actually a fairly significant contributor for new editors. PT-BR Wikian nominations have been increasing as well. New admin: Toktom.
- Update: The Events gadget has also been added! 09:09, 12 November 2020 (UTC)
Tech updates[edit source]
TehKittyCat updated the Cloudflare workers for much faster redirects, only dealing with 5 subdomains now. MW 1.35 Visual Editor is finicky and only works under very specific conditions, most Wikis still on 1.31 as we are. As Kubernetes specific changes were made for 1.35 we want to have it working for the GCP migration. TehKittyCat has a testing environment set up and is working on getting 1.35 working. We are trying to keep using SMW instead of switching to Cargo, mostly due to the amount of changes that would be needed to various modules, templates and pages.
We plan on using an R&D tax credit to greatly reduce the amount of tax we will have to pay for our remaining capital.
No appointments have been made for the election committee yet, but it will most likely be run by Cook Me Plox again. For more information on how board elections are run please see Weird Gloop elections, elections will be coming up soon!
Sort of forgot about posting this :/09:09, 12 November 2020 (UTC)
- A total of 180 shirts were ordered, including 18 for Jagex. 09:20, 12 November 2020 (UTC)
Comment - Some technical questions for the next meeting or if Kitty gets here beforehand:
- As we're using k8s on GCP, have we factored in the following:
- How we build images before deployment.
- Where we store images and what the costs of that are.
- How we store secrets (hopefully not in the image) and how that plays with traditional MW configuration of putting it all in PHP files.
- Do we plan on having deployments in multiple geographies for GCP?
- Do we anticipate any issues with getting Cloudflare to point at the new servers? I'm assuming GCP will provide different IPs.
Closed - Closing this, as the next meeting has been announced for January 23, please see Forum:Upcoming board meeting January 2021. Will add a technical update to either that thread or the following meeting notes thread. Thank you, 08:53, 20 January 2021 (UTC)