Forum:Board Meeting - 2022-12-17
Our most recent board meeting of 2022 took place on 17 December over Discord Voice Chat. 7 of the 9 board members were in attendance, as well as several non-members who joined for the non-confidential portion of the meeting.
Meeting notes[edit source]
- In game content coverage.
- New quests, 2 double xp weeks.
- Party for 300m accounts
- Fresh start worlds
- Garden of Kharid (changes to farming)
- 7 new wikian titles granted
- Removal of featured images
- Traveling merchant stock fixed after update.
- No progress on improving Drop rates. About 6 months of conversations with Jagex CM to try to get RuneMetrics data from the source.
- Diesel’s Retro doc: OSW Update Dec 2022
- Update coverage
- Tombs of Amascut: crowdsourced drop rates, confirmed with Jagex.
- Similar to Nex controversy – player base concerned about changes to drop rates and data not being public. Still not confident on best approach to publishing data — last time we published early and people got mad, this time we waited, and people still got mad.
- Maybe net positive in terms of Jagex relationship – possibly prevented angry mob of confused players.
- Transcript coverage – large reformatting project.
- 1 wikian nomination.
- A few new editors, but not hugely active. Current active editors are keeping up with updates: yak track, new quests, and other general updates.
- GlouphrieTranslator Python tool – https://github.com/Toktom/GlouphrieTranslator
- Helps to rapidly translate English RSW content.
Tech updates[edit source]
- Google Cloud analysis
- Significantly more stable now compared to the old OVH hosting.
- Performance tuning mostly between Aug-Sep by Jayden/Kitty/Cook.
- Found major performance regression in PHP language itself.
- Fixed complexity class issue with Kartographer, might have been synced into core mediawiki.
- Move webserver onto GKE Standard (variant of Kubernetes).
- Moving Weird Gloop to GKE standard
- Somehow both saves money and improves serving speed (10%)
- Investigating implementing ratelimiting of malicious actors.
- Cloudflare provides ratelimiting support, but was previously prohibitively expensive ($60k+/year). A recent update has made this free, so we will likely start investigating over this holiday period.
- First proposal is to block certain types of expensive requests happening faster than 120 queries/10sec. Only applies to uncached requests, which is currently only about 1% of current traffic.
- CacheReserve investigation
- Not seeing huge impact, costs about the same and serves content slightly slower.
- WeirdGloop APIs updated to support Fresh start worlds on both RS and OS.
Community concerns[edit source]
- Cook is the only real admin of crowdsourced data. Is this a problem?
- We cannot make all crowdsourced data public as a rule.
- We could still benefit from having more wiki editors involved.
- Logg: RSC wiki update
- Goals for 2023: Complete coverage of scenery pages. More eyes on release dates.
- Fjara: Fresh Start worlds tech updates
- Elections will be starting in the next upcoming weeks.
- Same seats as previous years. (Still no seat for RSC)
- The last two elections went unopposed.
- Likely to launch in about 1 month.
Previous action items[edit source]
- MP4 player extension
- Hoping to delete the existing extension code?
- Unclear why this wasn’t launched. Jayden to look back and figure out the result of the analysis. (should be in the discord)
Current financials[edit source]
- Weird Gloop strongly impacted by exchange rate from pounds to dollars. (Most income is in pounds, but most expenses are in dollars).
- Weird Gloop was losing ~£200-300/month in Q3 2022 due to poor exchange rate.
- Expenses: GCP, Cloudflare, DigitalOcean.
- Expecting GKE standard to reduce GCP cost by about 50%.
- Capital investments up front should reduce total cost significantly as well (special deal from GCP).
- Outstanding costs have historically been paid by Cook and reimbursed when Jagex payment arrives.
- Current sysadmin expenses.
- Weird Gloop pays Jayden and Kitty a salary that is currently well below market rate.
- Would expect on the order of 15-20x sysadmin cost for an equivalent tech salary for engineers with comparable MediaWiki experience.
Thanks to the community members who joined and to those who asked questions. Feel free to leave any feedback you have for the board here or in Discord at any time. Riblet15 (talk) 06:33, 22 December 2022 (UTC)