Difference between revisions of "Forum:Board Meeting - 2021-08-14"

From Meta Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
Line 138: Line 138:
   
 
Do we have any procedures in place to help mitigate the fact that we're building our business in someone else's ecosystem and at the end of the day operate at Jagex's whim. [[User:Elaine|Elaine]] ([[User talk:Elaine|talk]]) 08:51, 8 September 2021 (UTC)
 
Do we have any procedures in place to help mitigate the fact that we're building our business in someone else's ecosystem and at the end of the day operate at Jagex's whim. [[User:Elaine|Elaine]] ([[User talk:Elaine|talk]]) 08:51, 8 September 2021 (UTC)
  +
:What do you mean by "operate at Jagex's whim"? {{Signatures/Haidro}} 08:58, 8 September 2021 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 08:58, 8 September 2021

Forums: Index > Board Meeting - 2021-08-14

Our most recent board meeting of 2021 took place on 14 August over Discord Voice Chat. 8 of the 9 board members were in attendance (Haidro was absent), as well as 8 non-members who joined for the non-confidential portion of the meeting.

Meeting notes[edit source]

Notice and proxies[edit source]

9 out of 9 members, being at least 90% of all members, agreed in advance to waive the 14 day notification period for the announcement of the general meeting. Notice of the meeting was given on 2021-08-06 at https://meta.weirdgloop.org/w/Forum:Upcoming_board_meeting_August_2021. There were no proxies appointed for the purposes of the meeting.

Chairperson and quorum[edit source]

By virtue of being present and holding the Chairperson company role, Elessar2 was automatically selected as Chairperson of the meeting. The Chairperson noted that the meeting was quorate and accordingly opened the meeting.

Resolutions[edit source]

There were no resolutions to be passed.

Retrospective[edit source]

RSW[edit source]

  • Game updates: Divination skill update, City of Senntisten quest & 1st Nodon front
  • RS mobile released in June; doesn’t appear to have bumped player count like the update did for OSRS.
  • Upcoming: release of GWD3 (to come in batches 1per month over the next 3 months), next week mini digsite or Arch skill.
  • Star is now a jmod!
  • James is now a RSW admin as well as an osrs admin. 24 new wikians.
  • Discord collab with vis wax fc - set up by Elessar.
  • Jmod pages - auto adding the concept art - Blackhawk.
  • Made progress with graphical updates project - converting to sections on relevant articles, then overall page is done by DPL.
  • Scenery pages progressing - keeping up with newly added scenery and working back through old scenery.
  • Useful items guide.
  • Implementing databox thread consensus - Farming related pages next?
  • Cartographers project has been expanded to interactive maps & some of these are now being converted.
  • Had a wiki roundtable on 29th May - Round table notes
  • Runemetrics crowdsourcing to be started soon. This will give us better drop data that’s keyed by day. RS3 has never really had accurate drop rates like OSW, due to a lack of good data.

OSW[edit source]

  • Diesel’s notes: OSW Update August 2021
  • Community interactions
    • Crowdsourcing even more data than before.
      • Animation tracking
      • Tracking if items have interactions or not
      • Respawn timing
      • Monster examines
    • Wiki streams - showcasing editing and data collection on stream. Involving the community in the process.
  • OSW has a clan now. Somewhat active, small input of new editors but not a massive addition.
  • Jagex Relationship
    • Jagex provided the wiki a game cache prior to the update, which we were able to use to prepare articles prior to the release of the update.
    • Jagex provided pre-release info about Combat Achievements.
    • Plan to provide similar information sharing for DMM updates.

Pt-Br[edit source]

  • Previous concerns about editors that only edit their own userpage and not the rest of the wiki. There is now some kind of filter in place that makes this more manageable.
    • Implemented as a Abuse Filter - may want to revisit the solution to avoid discouraging contributions.
    • Cook suggests adding Javascript to hide the edit button when a user isn’t able to edit.
  • Continuing to work on templates and modules.
  • Good relationship with Jagex localisation team.
  • Elessar helped to enable interactive maps.
  • Valka helping with technical work and lua.

Meta[edit source]

Updates on Discord-Wiki account linking. Currently gives a coloured name and access to a private #wiki-lounge channel.

  • May try to add more features.

Action log[edit source]

  • Board to keep track of action items in a more structured format.
    • Managed by bookkeeper (Haidro)
  • TODO: Elessar to make an action item log page on Meta wiki.
Update: An action items list has been created on the wiki at Weird Gloop Board/Action items. Elessar2 (talk) 13:26, 20 August 2021 (UTC)

Tech update[edit source]

  • MediaWiki 1.31 update - reaches end-of-support cycle in September.
    • Migration of our custom MediaWiki extensions takes manual effort from sysadmins or Elessar.
    • Kartographer, search lookup, discord integrations need to be checked.
  • Kubernetes update
    • Cook working on scoping the difficulty. Goal is to complete this migration before end of September, but this isn’t a technical blocker.

NDA[edit source]

  • New NDA has been implemented since the last meeting.
    • TODO: Cook to eject people from the NDA channels who haven’t signed the new NDA.
Update: Cook has since cleaned up the NA channels. Elessar2 (talk) 13:26, 20 August 2021 (UTC)

Board elections[edit source]

  • Haidro’s proposal on new board election system: ​​Notes for Meeting
  • Goal is to define a process when there are fewer or equal applicants than board seats.
  • The thread is still open, but there has been little activity and no consensus.
    • Thread should maybe be written more opinionated, so commenters will be able to either support or oppose a change. There should be a specific proposal for people to vote yes or no on, with further discussion as necessary.
  • TODO: Board members should read Haidro’s proposal and comment in meta.
Update: The thread has been reopened and a new proposal added. Elessar2 (talk) 13:26, 20 August 2021 (UTC)

Community concerns[edit source]

GDPR[edit source]

  • Weird Gloop’s cookie law obligations are unclear - wiki usage of cookies for login or dark mode skin toggle aren’t used to individually track users.
  • Google Analytics is possibly more unclear based on continually changing laws.
  • May want to add a notice when logging in
  • Weird gloop should update privacy policy - current implementation was not written by legal professionals.
    • Options to either hire a professional legal advisor or copy an existing policy from somewhere else. Note that legal costs would be a few thousand pounds, greatly cutting into WG’s generally small profits.
  • TODO: Cook to look into privacy policy with Nex Undique. Based on the result of this discussion, look into requirements for full compliance and technical work.

Risk register[edit source]

  • Suggestion from Isobel. Keep track of expected risks so we have a plan and record.
  • Keep some portions public when possible to help community see what the board discusses.
  • TODO: Isobel and Haidro to start Risk register.
Update: A risk register has been started. Elessar2 (talk) 13:26, 20 August 2021 (UTC)

Business plan[edit source]

  • Suggestion from Isobel. Keep a rough business plan ahead of time before the end-of-year potential surplus.
  • Get community interaction to determine what sorts of expenses make the most sense.
    • For example, spending on shirts was possibly a rushed decision, accepted with no alternatives.
    • Can be difficult to take community feedback and determine how solutions to that would actually spend money.
    • Weird Gloop needs to maintain privacy on financial specifics, so it’s also difficult to inform the community especially well.
    • More structure on expenses is feasible, but not necessarily more feedback.

OSWF[edit source]

  • RS3 doesn’t have anyone who can front money for bonds, so OSWF is starting to get delayed. Expecting about 3 months where OSWF can’t run on RS3.

Freenode[edit source]

  • Can Cook and Gaz sell WG? They have a legal obligation to perform in the interests of the board.
  • We can’t necessarily stop them from selling the company directly, but the board could file legal action after the fact (and would likely win, but it wouldn’t be fun).
  • Isobel can look into forming a resolution that would actually prevent the company from being sold without consent of the board.

Previous action items[edit source]

  • Update the welcome messages
    • Done by Gaz
  • Pt-Br distribution of bonds
    • TODO: Elessar to talk with Pt-br about OSWF bond allocation
Update: Pt-br stopped OSWF due to low participation, and the last time it was less than a bond in 2 months. Elessar2 (talk) 13:26, 20 August 2021 (UTC)
  • Investigate MP4 solutions
    • Not solved, but we may want to disable
  • Weird gloop meta page
    • TODO: Riblet to make this page

Discussion[edit source]

Thanks to the community members who joined and to those who asked questions in the announcement thread. Feel free to leave any feedback you have for the board here or in Discord at any time. Riblet15 (talk) 03:46, 20 August 2021 (UTC)

I have added updates on various completed action items. Elessar2 (talk) 13:26, 20 August 2021 (UTC)

Regarding the Freenode header (and without knowing much about English corporate law), we could amend the constitution to provide that, in the case of a Change of Control Transaction (see here for a little bit of a primer of what this provision means in the context of an agreement), the consent of the Members is required as well. Then we’d just have to hope that you guys aren’t corrupt too! Nex Undique(talk) 16:52, 20 August 2021 (UTC)

Would we need to amend the constitution or is passing a resolution enough? Elessar2 (talk) 11:08, 21 August 2021 (UTC)
Actually, thinking more about it and the analogues to the US, I’m not 100% sure that you could put something like this in the bylaws of an American corporation. It’s a weird situation. Nex Undique(talk) 19:46, 21 August 2021 (UTC)

Do we have any procedures in place to help mitigate the fact that we're building our business in someone else's ecosystem and at the end of the day operate at Jagex's whim. Elaine (talk) 08:51, 8 September 2021 (UTC)

What do you mean by "operate at Jagex's whim"? Haidro (talk) 08:58, 8 September 2021 (UTC)