Forum:Board Meeting - 2021-01-23

From Meta Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Forums: Index > Board Meeting - 2021-01-23
Archive
This page or section is an archive.
Please do not edit the contents of this page.
This thread was archived on 21 April 2021 by Elessar2.

Our first board meeting of 2021 took place on 23 January at 23:00 GMT over Discord Voice Chat. The 9 board members were all in attendance, as well as 13 non-members who joined for the non-confidential portion of the meeting.

Meeting Notes[edit source]

Election[edit source]

The new member roles were assigned and are listed on Weird Gloop Board.

Retrospective[edit source]

RSW[edit source]

  • Yew grove discussions
    • Player names in mainspace?
    • Infoboxes - add options parameter, not yet implemented
    • PVM guides - need to fix balance of high level content
  • Projects
    • Completed update history project as part of OSWF
  • Game update coverage
    • Archaeology 2, new boss
    • Jagex gave some pre-release information for Archaeology

OSW[edit source]

  • Trailblazer League coverage
    • Highly successful and well received by the community
    • Massive traffic records (3-4x more readers than Twisted League)
  • Projects
    • OS Blog archival, preserve forum posts before the information is lost
    • PVP page coverage
    • OSWF batch ongoing
      • Temple Trekking, scenery pages working well

Pt-Br[edit source]

  • Projects
    • Improvements to modules, templates, calculators
    • OSWF attempted but unsuccessful
        • Only 1 real user, but was already fairly active
        • No new editors from these tasks
        • Unpopular despite being highly advertised on FB groups and on site notice
  • Overall fewer edits compared to previous quarter

Tech update[edit source]

  • GE rework in late 2020
    • All exchange data moved off-wiki to separate API
    • All users for both games can access
    • GazBot isn’t editing the wiki 1000s of times a day, only ~12 times
  • GCP Migration
    • Prototype of metawiki working
    • Significantly faster than current metawiki in all regions, including UK, US, Australia
    • MediaWiki launched 1.35, but only in a minimal state working for Wikipedia and not WG
      • Kitty has had to fix bugs in VisualEditor - Chatting with other wiki farm owners to debug some issues
      • Scale of remaining work is unclear.
      • WG is intending to migrate to 1.35 as part of switch to GCP hosting

Questions from community[edit source]

  • Any concerns about solarwind?
    • No known problems reported by OVH+ or Cloudflare
  • Shared commons-like system (helps link RSW and PTBR, and gives better access to community)
    • Waiting until 1.35 migration
    • Moving user submissions to an external source so pt-br can access rs data? (Data namespace)
      • Possible preference for a bot that copies between the wikis as opposed to external hosting

Previous action items[edit source]

  • Address the Name Change Policy in a future meeting, and Name Freeing at an even later discussion.
    • Update: Same position as before, waiting for 1.35 to be ready
  • Elessar to look at current Spam Accounts created in past month and compare to coming month’s Spam Accounts after the new anti-spam feature is turned on.
    • Update: CAPTCHA was enabled then disabled due to the time it took to complete.
    • Update: added a spam blocker, which is blocking ~90% of spam signups.
  • OS DPS and Varbit projects status
    • Update: Varbits are slowly progressing. RuneLite crowdsourcing helping to track data. Articles being made in project namespace
  • DPS is on hold, coordinating with Bea5 and fruitdeeps
  • Porting RS3 modules to Pt-Br is ongoing
    • Update: Blackhawk and ceph both helping out in #wiki-tech channel for various pt-br modules
  • Individual Wiki Threads from Isobel/OSW Representative about whether the move to WEBM/MP4 is something they want as individual Image Media Policies will need to be updated.
    • Update: Isobel experiment didn’t produce mp4s with high enough quality.
  • Newsletter - Maybe get Star to start a meta thread? Or lead the project
    • Update: No real progress, still available (Star is interested)
  • Tshirt/Merch progress from IsobelJ
    • Update: Shirts have all been shipped (thank you Isobel). Isobel still holding on to shirts we will later send to Jagex
  • OS News Feed status update
    • Update: No progress on OS, demand seems low
    • Update: enabled on PT-BR

Discussion[edit source]

I got an overall positive impression from the non-members who attended about having part of the meeting be open for everyone. If you have any other feedback about this feel free to let us know. Riblet15 (talk) 02:22, 3 February 2021 (UTC)

I agree with the positive impression regarding the openness of the board meeting at the start. I don't recall us advertising the meeting time until a few hours before hand. Perhaps this is something that we can share moving forward in order to allow people a chance to plan their schedules if they're interested in attending? Legaia2Pla · ʟ · 02:28, 6 February 2021 (UTC)

As someone who didn't know too much about what the board actually did or how it worked prior to this, it was nice to be able to sit in at the beginning. I hope that they stay open in the future. I wouldn't mind there being a bit of heads up before they start, though I'm not too sure the best way of letting people know (announcements ping, some kind of role). Andmcadams (talk) 02:31, 18 February 2021 (UTC)
I really enjoyed attending the meeting as someone that doesn't apply to Board because I don't know when I'd have time to attend to all of the Meetings. I'd really enjoy if all of the meetings had a open-to-public part, it keeps the Wikis more transparent and the questions moment is really helpful. Gugu (Talk) 14:16, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

From what I can see here the meeting's agenda has been made public in this thread. I can definitely understand the details about the meeting not being plastered all over the internet, but is there any way for people who did not attend the 'public' (non-confidential) portion of the meeting to catch up on the gist of what has been discussed about certain topics? As someone who has been quite heavily involved (to put it that way) in one of the agenda points I am quite curious about what was discussed and concluded about the PvP page coverage. Did this meeting conclude any possible improvements this project could undertake? Joeytje50 (talk) 03:41, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

With the updates on each wiki it's just an overview of news from each of them. We did not go into anything like discussing improvements on the projects - that would remain the purview of that wiki's community. IsobelJ (talk) 09:42, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

Being able to listen in on part of the meeting was welcome. I agree with James that it would be better to advertise the meeting time better in the future. In regards to MP4s, other than getting a better player, we'd also want users to be able to download the files in the original format, so if they can play in most browsers and devices that'd be nice. I know it has something to do with how the file is encoded, but don't really know how to find out which are the best encoding settings without trial and error, so if someone's reading this and is more knowledgeable, it'd be nice to have some input on this. Habblet (talk|c) 14:25, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

It was great to be able to listen in to the public bit of the meeting. It was good to learn how the board works and about the different roles. I do agree with others that the time for it could have been made public a little more in advance but then there was also I feel a good turn out. Allowing us common folk a few minutes for questions was also a good thing. Overall, I think it would be great if the openness around the non-confidential parts of the meeting continue.  BlackHawk (Talk)    19:33, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

Might not be the best place to ask, but considering most the topics were related to projects at the end of 2020 - are there any plans to create a 2020 year in review, similar to 2019's one, or was that more of a one-off thing? Californ1a (talk) 08:41, 24 February 2021 (UTC)

I am told that there is one in the works, and should be available soon™. -Legaia2Pla · ʟ · 16:56, 8 March 2021 (UTC)

Closed - Closing this thread as the next meeting announcement has been posted at Forum:Upcoming board meeting April-May 2021. Elessar2 (talk) 14:24, 21 April 2021 (UTC)